* I’m just sitting down to write my English Paper. (about a minute ago)*
Ever since I graduated from college and began my career, life has been crazy. I find myself missing my friends, but when I get home from work I don’t have the strength to call them and see how they’re doing. Life seems so complex these days, and without anyone to reminisce with, sometimes I don’t know how I will remember my college days. Life was so vivid then, spending time with people every night, and learning new things that I never thought I would know. It was great being able to have conversations with friends whose interests were different than mine. But now, my life seems so bland and empty—except for my wife and kids.

*Just wondering how anyone could think Purple was more of a royal color than “Royal Blue.” The word “Royal” is in the description. (about 2 hours ago)*
Then my life changed last week—I found Twitter. We are so fortunate that we finally have a way of looking in on our friends. It’s so convenient that my friends don’t even need to be bothered by knowing how often I am looking in on what they’re doing. It’s great, some of my friends are so good at “tweeting” that I finally know their physical location at all times. For far too long, people believed that their private lives were meant to be private. When someone’s life is private you can’t access it, you have no idea how they’re doing. Before Twitter came around, there was no way of knowing how friends were doing, or what they were up to. Some people would say, “You could call them.” But really who has the time for that? Today, people don’t have time to call on a whim, there’s just not enough time to fool around.

*@Mark: I disagree, The Office is second, Fawlty Towers is the best BBC comedy ever, hands down. (about 4 hours ago)*
For those of you who may not be familiar with Twitter, I’ll show you how simple it is to use. Also, I will dispel some myths you’ve probably heard about Twitter. First, the only thing you need is an email address. Go to Twitter.com and follow the simple process for registering; basically, you just need to input your full name, a username, and a valid email address. The next step is probably my favorite. They ask for the password to your email address—don’t worry, it’s not to hack you (LOL)—they pull out of your email account the saved email addresses, and they tell you who is already on Twitter. Then, with the rest of the email addresses in your account, they ask you if you want to invite this person to Twitter. How awesome is that? There were so many old emails from people I hadn’t thought about in years. There were a bunch of people from group projects, I didn’t even know their names, but it was interesting to see what they were up to. I sent invitations to professors I never even really talked to, just submitted papers to, via email. I sent a ton of Twitter-vites out.

*Driving home from work, finally I’m now going 55 mph, there was a wreck on I-15, around Sandy. (about 5 hours ago)*
Another great thing about Twitter, you can find people you’ve never emailed. There are people from my past I think about a lot, but never emailed, and I’ve been able to find them on Twitter. I found my ex-girlfriend on there. We haven’t talked for ten years; it was interesting to read about what she’s been up to, and to look at her profile picture. I also found most of the members of the high school student body council from my senior year, everything seems really positive in their lives. It’s amazing that even in these financially tough times, they’re all doing really well.

*Yeah, I have the app on my B’berry, I can post updates anytime. (10:30 AM July 1)*
One of the awesome things about Twitter is I can read other people’s tweets, then post my own responses, on my Blackberry. The great thing about having Twitter on your phone is that whenever you have some down time you can stay in contact, instead of waiting until you get home to get to your computer. I work 35 miles away from my house, so sometimes during rush hour my commute can take quite a while, especially when there are accidents. Most days I’ll keep up with my friends while I’m driving home from work. It’s so nice, I used to be so bored driving home, but now I’ll interact with a bunch of friends.

*Feel bad for Jim, because his brother, Dan, got arrested during a police sting at a massage parlor. (12:51 AM July 1)*
According to some people, there are downsides to Twitter which they label as “scary.” These people either don’t truly understand twittering, or are simply paranoid. I kept trying to get a friend of mine at the office to join Twitter, but he kept saying he was afraid of putting his private life on the Internet. I laughed and said, “What are you hiding?” He said something about possible employers could look up your Twitter page, which could hurt your chances for getting hired. I told him there wasn’t anything to be concerned with, even if an employer looked on your Twitter page, it would be fine. Everyone understands that you may have a friend or two who will leave you crude or insensitive remarks from time to time. Because they understand that they won’t judge you for it, especially because you didn’t Twitter it.

*@Spike: I’ll burn you a copy, what’s your mailing address? (3:30 PM 30 June)*
Another friend of mine, who works for the police station, asked me if I knew the police had arrested people because of their Twitter pages. I told them I’m not doing anything illegal so what does that have to do with me. Don’t people understand that there are going to be a few bad people out there, trying to ruin it for everyone else? It bothers me that just because some people do things that get them in trouble on Twitter, that Twitter takes the blame. Horrible things happen everywhere, but we don’t blame the building, or park. You’re going to find people everywhere who try to rain on your parade. Sometimes I think people have a hard time leaving people alone, and letting them live their own lives.

*I’m eating dinner with my wife and kids. Traci made a great dinner. (6:15 PM June 29)*
Twitter is awesome! It has enriched my life. I have been able to catch up with so many of my friends that I hadn’t spoken with—some for years. I recommend Twitter to anyone who wants to keep up with friends and add a little excitement to their day. Also, don’t listen to those people who make it sound like Twitter will stop you from getting jobs, or loans. Do you think that Twitter would be as popular as it is if that were the case? Be smart, don’t write things that will get you in trouble. Visit Twitter.com, sign up, and start living!

*Vacuuming my living room. (7:30 PM June 28)*

2 comments:

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

Do people really not know that employers check out myspace, facebook and twitter before hiring you? I just thought it was common sense. Guess not.

dannypitt said...

Brilliant!

*commenting on Danny's Blog, saying it was brilliant. (about 5 minutes ago)*

Copyright © 2008 - I'll have a #3, DeLuxxe Sized - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template