For most of us, our lives are unfortunately filled with people trying to tear down prominent institutions that influence our lives. Usually, we understand that these attempts tells us more about the perpetrators than of the institutions they are trying to bring down. In many ways, I see these attempts as very useful; I learn very quickly who I think like, and those people who I know I will never trust. However, every once in a while you find that one of the people you've decided you can't trust, might just be right. I consider these days dark days, and today is one of those days.

After two critical viewings of the movie Frozen, I came away with such mixed feelings. After the movie, Traci and I commented on how it feels as though Disney is entering into another golden era of movie making (with the exception of Planes, or as we call it Nauseaus). That didn't stop me from pointing out that I found real problems with the movie's theme song, "Let It Go." During the first viewing, I told Traci that the premise of the song was built upon faulty logic, and poorly formed ideals. However, when a blond haired, blue-eyed, four year old boy starts singing it, instead of my stomach turning (as it should have), my judgments of the song softened. Upon the second viewing, though I had very similar feelings to the first, I held them in better. It wasn't until three days later that the walls came down... As Buster and I drove, we listened to "Let It Go," and things started to click. This song is the female equivalent to Rage Against the Machine's 'Killing in the Name Of." Funny enough, upon relating these two songs to each other, I felt an instant understanding and became okay with the song and with the ideas it espouses. But that feeling soon left, and I returned to a feeling of doubt. Then came my conversation with Traci.
I told Traci I was far more accepting of "Let it Go," because it is the female anthem of liberty. Interestingly, Frozen's freedom fighter, Traci, put things into perspective. This is why you get married, even if it causes you to lose faith in Disney, and possibly humanity. The institution that gave us truth through such movies as G-Force, Bolt, or The Jonus Brothers 3D Concert Experience, would lose all credibility. Please pay attention to the lyrics from the chorus of "Let it Go."
Let it go, let it go Can’t hold it back anymore Let it go, let it go Turn away and slam the door I don’t care What they’re going to say Let the storm rage on, the cold never bothered me anyway
Now please look at the picture (above) of the character Elsa. When the song starts, she is wearing her local Princess dress. When she throws her tantrum, causing "Eternal Winter," she throws off these shackles of clothing. Elsa then changes into an evening dress and does her hair into a different, just as intricate, hairdo. These changes, as I understand it, show that she has taken back her life, and she'll run it how she desires. Girl power! Unfortunately, Traci points out that this idea is founded within Disney's greatest lie ever, she didn't say it like that. What Traci really said was, "If I were going to tell the world where to go, I'd do it in sweat pants." If Disney wants to be taken as a serious/honest corporation, they will remake this portion of the movie with Elsa in either sweats, or to a lesser extent a bootie shorts and a big shirt.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - I'll have a #3, DeLuxxe Sized - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template